About the Directory categories
Our category structure is designed to help people quickly and easily find local suppliers and service providers to help prepare home-prepared pet diets. The descriptions below are intended to help visitors find relevant information. If you are a supplier who would like to get listed, please see the FAQ for more information about configuring your listing.
If you have suggestions for additional categories, please contact us.
- Butchers / Meat Markets
- Companies whose primary business is processing and selling meat.
- Good Causes
- We offer free Showcase Listings to non-profit organizations that promote dog and cat health (two subcategories are Pet Health Nonprofits and Rescues/Shelters). To apply, simply set up your new Showcase Listing, and enter GOODCAUSE in the Promotional Code field.
- Independent Pet Retailers
- Independent, local pet stores that offer real food products.
- Meat Farmers
- Looking for elk, buffalo, ostrich, rabbit? Grass-fed beef? Pasture-raised poultry? Just want to know where the food comes from? Find your local meat farmer.
- Nutrition Consultants
- Nutrition consultants may be holistic vets, individuals with expertise in canine or feline nutrition, or veterinary nutritionists certified by the American College of Veterinary Nutrition. Raw Food Sources does not evaluate these consultants, so you should ask for and check credentials. We request that consultants listed here be willing to advise on home-prepared diets, but their recommendations may not be limited to home-prepared diets. Our goal for including Nutrition Consultants in the Directory is to make is easier for pet owners to get expert opinion on their individual animals’ diets when they feel they need it. Please post your reviews of the providers you’ve used to help others find appropriate practitioners.
- Manufacturers / Packagers
- Companies that make complete diets of raw or freshly cooked food, or that package unprocessed foods. There are three subcategories: Fresh Cooked, Premixes, and Raw.
- Pet Treat Manufacturers
- Companies that make or supply treats that appeal to real food feeders.
- Supplements Manufacturers
- Companies that manufacture or package supplements of interest to real food feeders.
- Training / Boarding Facilities
- We list facilities that sell real food products; Raw Food Sources is not intended to be a comprehensive directory of training/boarding facilities.